AEA Aquatic Fitness Professional Certification
Become a recognized leader in your community with the AEA Certification! Obtaining AEA Certification is considered the highest level of achievement for those leading aquatic group fitness and personal training. The AEA Certification tests a standard level of theoretical and practical competence in aquatic fitness program design and leadership for general populations approved for independent exercise. Group fitness instructors and personal trainers who hold the AEA Certification are prepared to assist participants meet health and fitness objectives through safe, effective, and enjoyable water exercise. The AEA Certification reinforces guidelines for developing and delivering aquatic fitness programs in the community.
Certification Exam Preparation
AEA highly recommends that all certification candidates have a minimum of 8 to 12 weeks of advance study, in addition to a minimum of 6 months practical experience, regardless of educational background. AEA highly recommends the AEA Online Prep Course to assist candidates in preparing for Certification.
- Candidates must be 18 years of age or older. Candidates between the ages of 15-18 require legal guardian or parental written consent prior to taking examination.
- Candidates must have current CPR/AED certification.
AEA Certification Examination
AEA Certification test is a 100-question multiple choice exam developed to test a standard level of theoretical and practical competence in aquatic fitness program design and leadership for general populations approved for independent exercise.
Follow the AEA Aquatic Fitness Professional Learning Objectives to fully prepare. These can be downloaded from our website.
• AEA highly recommends that ALL Candidates have a minimum of 6 months practical experience in aquatic exercise and allow at least 8-12 weeks of advanced study utilizing the AFP 2018 Seventh Edition Manual and AEA Aquatic Fitness Professional Learning Objectives.
Online Exam Registration
If you are enrolled into the AEA Online Prep Bundle, you must complete 100% of the course before registering for your exam. Upon completion of the AEA Online Prep Course, you will receive am email with instructions on how to take the exam.
Exam ONLY purchase with NO recommended preparations:
Purchase Exam for $175.00 with the payment options provided. Upon completion, you will receive an email with instructions on how to select your exam date.
Exam ONLY Purchase Here
Online Proctored Exam Protocols
· Please have your REAL ID compliant government issued photo Identification available. This will be confirmed by the system before you can access and start the examination.
· Your microphone and video camera must remain on during the exam. Please ensure you have a quiet space to work with zero distractions.
· This exam cannot be taken from your smart phone. A desktop computer or laptop computer are approved.
· Please make sure you are ready and prepared to take the examination and have completed all the necessary steps regarding your examination access.
· Make sure your desk/surface area is clear except for a pen and paper.
· The allotted time for the exam is two (2) hours and you must receive a minimum score of 68% or higher to pass.
· Your results will be provided as soon as you complete your exam. If you do not pass, you can purchase a retake exam for $45.00 once you are adequately prepared.
Statement of Nondiscrimination
AEA does not discriminate among examination Candidates on the basis of gender, age, religion, race, national origin, marital status or disability.
AEA will assist with special arrangements for Candidates who have a medical and/or learning disability that may prevent taking the examination under standard conditions. Candidates requiring special assistance must request and complete the Certification Examination Disability Form. Please contact AEA directly by email or phone to request the Disability Form. The form and requested documents must be received no later than 30 days prior to taking the examination. In accordance with the ADA, documentation of the disability from a qualified health care provider must be provided. AEA will make every effort to provide the requested accommodations or provide acceptable alternatives to assist the Candidate.
Cancellation / Refund Policy
All Examination cancellations must be submitted in writing and received within 30 days of purchase of examination. No refund will be issued if the examination was initiated or attempted or incomplete without due and viable reason or cause. Should it be necessary for AEA to cancel an examination, candidates will be notified by email or phone and issued a full refund on examination fees paid*. (*If the exam fees were included in a bundle purchase package, the exam fees discounted price will be refunded.)
Resources-AEA Fitness Professional Certification
AEA Seventh Edition Aquatic Fitness Professional Manual
The Only Complete Resource for Certification
AEA Member: $52.00 free shipping Non-Member: $65.00 free shipping USA ONLY USPS
The Seventh Edition AEA Aquatic Fitness Professional Manual is a comprehensive resource with essential information on fitness components, aquatic exercise programming, and teaching tools. Reinforce your knowledge or prepare for the AEA Certification. Expand your career opportunities by developing skills to lead safe, enjoyable and effective aquatic exercise programs.
Available in hard copy, eBook digital and Kindle edition (available on Amazon)
Reader & user friendly
15 Chapters (corresponding to the AEA Aquatic Fitness Professional Learning Objectives) include Key Questions/ Concepts, Summary Statements, Review Questions and References
Appendices with color photos and descriptions of shallow and deep-water exercises and aquatic equipment, instructor worksheets, and sample class formats
Detailed Glossary and complete Index